What Low-Code App Development Is and Why You Need It
Not so long ago, the only way to develop and build an application was to write many lines of code for each app. This meant it took software developers a long time to develop apps, forcing them to focus on apps that had the biggest business impact. Fast-forward to today and we are witnessing the modernization of app development, thanks to the low-code approach.
Low-code app development is becoming increasingly popular, and according to Gartner, it will account for 65% of all app development by 2024. And it’s no wonder. The COVID-19 pandemic has increased the speed at which businesses and other organizations have had to adopt the use of mobile apps and remote technology.
What Is Low-Code App Development?
Low-code app development has completely modernized the app development process. It is a method of developing apps that requires very little code to be written from scratch. Instead, app developers using the low-code approach to app development have access to a graphic user interface that makes app development intuitive.
Enterprise-grade apps can be developed primarily through the use of a visual drag-and-drop process that requires very little hand-coding. Low-code app development also makes it possible to automate many aspects of app development, increasing the efficiency of the development process.
Why Low-Code App Development Is Necessary
There are several advantages to low-code app development that organizations can benefit from. At the core of these advantages is the fact that apps can be developed more quickly and easily than ever. Here is a closer look at how low-code app development benefits organizations:
- People with limited coding knowledge can develop simple apps, taking some of the burden off the IT department so they can focus on more complex app development and reducing the IT backlog.
- The development process is simplified by the ability to use drag-and-drop to create interfaces that allow for cross-platform deployment, with any code required being translated automatically so there is no need to code in various languages.
- With existing staff being able to help with app development, organizations can reduce costs by minimizing the number of developers they need to have on staff.
- Developers can focus more on innovation and building complex apps that will help companies meet their business objectives and retain their competitive edge.
- Productivity will increase across teams when business teams possess the ability to develop the simple apps they need without the need to wait for developers.
- Companies can pivot more quickly with the ability to develop and change apps more quickly, making it easier for them to keep up with changes in how employees work and how consumers interact with them.
- The need for app maintenance is reduced with the use of standardized app components that are pre-made and pre-tested, meaning there are fewer bugs in each new app that is developed.
- App development is democratized by flattening the learning curve for low-level app developers and non-developers when it comes to using specialized app development tools.
How Automation Can Help
Organizations of all kinds have an increasing need for apps—both customer-facing and employee-facing. By adopting a low-code app development strategy, you will simplify and revolutionize the way your organization develops the apps you need, getting the right apps in front of the right users faster than ever before.
Connect with a member of the Tangentia team today to learn more about how we can help you use low-code app development to streamline your app development process.