- Written by Tangentia Media
- Published: 12 Jul 2016
CUSTOMER SUCCESS STORY - I
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Service (SSRS) to IBM Cognos Migration at Major Telecommunication Company.
- • Customer: Large Global Telecommunication Company headquartered in Dallas, Texas
- • Revenue: $22B annual revenue in 2011 (Fortune 500 company)
- • Employees: 250,000+
- • A particular business unit within our customer organisation had a complex reporting framework around SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) which offered limited reporting capabilities especially around ad-hoc reporting.
- • A large portion of the business logic for the SSRS reports were also contained within stored procedures and not in any normalized enterprise model.
- • Business users were unhappy about the time it took for new reports to be created within SSRS- it took weeks and sometimes months for new reports to be made available.
- • The IT group were also unhappy as they had to engage the services of expensive consultants that had done the SSRS reports previously. Due to the fact that a lot of the logic was in the stored procedures, replacing the consultants was almost impossible and any changes to existing reports or new reports always cost a lot of time and money.
- • The customer decided to purchase Cognos for their Business Analytics requirements and within a 4 month period Tangentia and IBM had to get 100+ reports migrated, tested and production ready.
- • Tangentia alongside IBM architected a scalable, user friendly and easily customizable reporting framework using Cognos.
- • Logic in the stored procedures had to be moved
- • Tangentia Business Modellers and Architects created an enterprise model with a three layer approach that comprised:
- • Import Layer
- • Business Layer
- • Presentation Layer
- • Developed a cube for Hierarchy type reports.
- • Provided a Reporting dashboard with drill through and drilldowns using the Cognos Portal.
- • The project team including folks from the customer side, IBM side and the Tangentia team spanned 4 time zones within North America and Tangentia’s Central PMO (Project Management Office) created a schedule for team meetings, peer reviews as well as client reviews to keep everything on track.
- • The Cognos cubes, drill downs and reports were well received by the Business Groups.
- • The in-built exporting options in Cognos were very user friendly and didn't require any additional programming. PDF and excel reports could now be created on the fly.
- • The report performance was a big win for the customers moving from SSRS to Cognos.
- • SQL Stored Procedure dependency was taken away and this helped the customer save a lot of SQL resources.
- • The 3 layered approach using Framework Manager with the Business naming and tooltips allowed easy “Ad hoc” reporting for end users.
- • Cognos version 10.2 software (Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio)
- • OLAP Modeling
- • ReportNet
- • Framework Manager,
- • Report Studio,
- • Query Studio
- • Cognos Configuration Management, Report Server Administration, Powerplay Enterprise Server
- • Microsoft SQL Server 2008
DELIVERY MODEL & TEAM SIZE
- • Tangentia Consultants working within USA from 4 locations- New York, California, Texas and Ohio.
- • Working alongside IBM sales and project management teams who were themselves remotely located in multiple locations in USA.
- • Total Tangentia team size of 8 consultants delivered the migration project on time and on budget.