- Written by Tangentia Media
- Published: 12 Jul 2016
Migration of Business Intelligence Framework from Windows to UNIX at Canadian Utility Company
Customer: Regional Canadian Utility Company
- • A regional Canadian Utility moved their ERP system to a new system that ran on UNIX and the customer after a careful evaluation process decided to migrate from Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) to the IBM Cognos Reporting Framework to have seamless integration to their databases and data warehouses.
- • Tangentia in a period of 6 months got 200+ reports migrated, tested and production ready.
- • Tangentia architected a scalable, user friendly and easily customizable reporting framework using Cognos.
- • Tangentia Business Analysts worked with the business users to re-engineer and re-model the Final reports based on the technological advantages provided by the Cognos Reporting Framework especially around Ad-Hoc reporting.
- • In spite of end user representation in the re-engineering and re-modelling process, there was resistance to change within the end user community. Change Management Intervention by Tangentia Change Management Consultants along with strong executive intervention at the customer was required to ensure that the end business users signed off on the new modified reports.
- • Tangentia Business Modellers and Architects created an enterprise model with a three layer approach that comprised:
- • Import Layer
- • Business Layer
- • Presentation Layer
- • Developed a cube for Hierarchy type reports.
- • Provided a Reporting dashboard with drill through and drilldowns using the Cognos Portal.
- • Cognos cubes, drill downs and reports were well received by the Business Groups.
- • The in-built exporting options in Cognos were very user friendly and didn't require any additional programming. PDF and excel reports could now be created on the fly.
- • The report performance was a big win for the customers moving from SSRS to Cognos.
- • SQL Stored Procedure dependency was taken away and this helped the customer save a lot of SQL resources
- • The 3 layered approach using Framework Manager with the Business naming and tooltips allowed easy “Ad hoc” reporting for end users.
- • Cognos version 10.2 software (Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio)
- • OLAP Modeling
- • ReportNet
- • Framework Manager,
- • Report Studio,
- • Query Studio
- • Cognos Configuration Management, Report Server Administration, Powerplay Enterprise Server
- • DB2 10.1 for UNIX
- • Cognos TM1 (installed by Tangentia in a sandbox environment in preparation of a future planning, budgeting and forecasting project).
DELIVERY MODEL & TEAM SIZE
- • The Delivery Model was a combination of Local Onsite Resources in Canada at client site as well as global offshore resources which is an integral part of Tangentia’s “Think Global, Act Local” strategy.
- • 3 member team on the customer side – 1 end user, 1 business analyst and 1 technical infrastructure specialist
- • 3 members on the Tangentia Business Analytics team based in Canada – 1 Business analyst, 1 Business Intelligence Architect / Cognos Team Lead , 1 Project Manager/ Change Management Specialist.
- • 4 members on the Tangentia Business Analytics team based in India – 3 Cognos Developers, 1 Cognos Team Lead and 1 Cognos QA specialist.